Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Sex, Drugs, and Rock n' Roll

Personally, I have always been a true fan of the harmony of a guitar, drums, and bass; the lead singer has always been the least of my focus. I'm a fan of the loud and in your face guitar riffs of the stadium bands of the 70's, 80's, and 90's. My best friend on the other hand, could care less about the beat and more about the lyricism within a piece. Yet, I cannot lie that some lyrics seem like poetry. They seem to captivate and draw attention away from the other parts, but I will admit I used to be somewhat of an instrumental snob.


Guns N' Roses - the late 80's and early 90's band that is known for heavy riffs, an "Appetite for Destruction", and not to mention guitar solo's that would knock your lights out while still soothing your soul with sweet melody. They are the epitome of sex, drugs and rock n' roll better. The instrumentals are what drew me to this band: amazing drums from Steven Adler (classic lineup, later replaced by Matt Sorum), highly rhythmic bass lines (Duff McKagan), the tightest rhythm guitar ever heard (Izzy Stradlin), and one of the most technical lead guitarists of the 90's who has even recently released a new solo record (Slash). The high pitched squealing vocals of Axl Rose are just an added perk to this band. Guns is the band for anyone who loves and needs to just let out a little steam every once in a while.

The two videos (which I do not own) I have posted are from their earliest album "Appetite for Destruction". Sweet Child O' Mine is an up-tempo rock ballad. The song is crisp and clean, but the lyrics are like utter poetry. Axl Rose uses strong metaphors such as "Her hair reminds me of a warm, safe place, where as a child I'd hide". As for the other song "Paradise City", it is a surprising song. If you listen closely in the beginning is very smooth, harmonious, and easy going, but suddenly blasts into this insanely powerful rock riff. As for the guitar solos in each song, there have no been many guitarists who can match the technicality and virtuosity of Slash. You cannot help playing the air guitar and banging your head while listening to the guitar solos.
Don't let me be the judge, listen for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment